Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Glycemic Index

We went for a run yesterday, ran a hard 2.7 miles. Denby and I ran it in a little less than 25 minutes, which is really good for me. I was sucking in air at the end because I didn't want to slow down. Afterwards we went to this nutrition seminar, well it was really small, there were only 6 people. It was very informative, about the glycemic index. I had heard this term before, but didn't really understand it. It was really interesting hearing about it from someone who obviously knows what she was talking about it and really believes in it. It relates and makes sense with the low-carb diets that are popular now. I have always believed that the low carb diets are better for you nutritionally, (not the really low-carb diets, the good carb diets). I checked out the website nutritiondata.com and it tells you more about some of the different diets that are out there. The glycemic index along with the glycemic load seem like they would really help you lose weight, if you understand and are willling to put in the time to use it. What I really liked was the Better Choices Diet that uses both a calorie count along with the "fullness factor" scale and the glycemic index. It is one of those "duh" it just makes sense ways of eating (not a diet, but a lifestyle change).
The plan for this week is tonight- Pilates class, Wednesday- long run, Thursday- off, Friday- run with Titus, Saturday- yoga, Sunday- hiking.

No comments: